Thursday, October 8, 2009
Potty Training 101
I think I may need to take a class on how to Potty Train little boys - I REALLY have no idea how to do this. I bought the Elmo Potty Movie, but it doesn't explain HOW. Is there a book or something? I mean, I have done the girls, but this is totally baffling to me. How do you have them learn? Do they sit, do they stand? I don't get it!! Will you all PUUUULEASE help me out on this (I'm sure the 5 of you who read this will do this for me:) THANKS!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Piano Recital
We have THE BEST piano teacher ever! She is actually in our ward and one of the sweetest, kindest ladies you have ever met! My girls LOVE go...
-
Does this picture make you cringe like it does me?? Ugh, I never wanted to be "the parent who couldn't handle their kid", and ...
-
We have THE BEST piano teacher ever! She is actually in our ward and one of the sweetest, kindest ladies you have ever met! My girls LOVE go...
11 comments:
haha! We have tried more than 5 times with Gunner! It is so hard to train boys. we have him sit and hold it down. In my opinion, THEY have to be ready first! My friend sent me a book for potty training in three days if you want i can send it to you. It worked for her son but not mine. I will try again in a few months! Good Luck!
Jules-potty training boys is a WHOLE NEW GAME!It's taken forever with coop-and he still has problems every once in a while. With lauren we did the potty training in a day thing. I got the book and read it before i started and it worked. I knew cooper wouldn't be like that. for him it was all about rewards and consistency. i have him sit just because he doesn't know how to aim yet. (I'll let brad teach him about that!) But he is FINALLY going on his own-without me asking him to go. It's taken about 6 months of me begging and rewarding him to go. He would usually stay dry in between times, but would never go on his own. He's always stayed dry at night though--weird?? Good luck with Grady. Have Spence take a day off and talk to him about it. ?? :)
It is true. Potty training boys is HARD! My Grady has been potty trained for about a month now. Both Daxton and Grayden were almost 3. I started trying with Grayden in the spring thinking he could do it but it only made me crazy! Boys just take longer to figure it out. Azelynn was easy and she potty trained 2 weeks after turning 2. As for stand up or sit down, I had both boys sit down and then let them make the choice to stand after they were potty trained. Hope this helps. I don't like this part of motherhood!
I made Mike train Cohen. Cohen has always stood up. There was the one time he pooped standing up for the first time and that was not awesome, but I prefer teaching them to stand. Cohen was almost 3 by the time he got it all down. Be patient I guess.
Just don't lose patience...the second you do, it becomes a power struggle. Just keep sitting him on the potty and make a huge deal out of it every time he goes. All the hoop-la goes a long way! Good luck!!
Cambridge was a piece of cake compared to Zoe. I used the Dr. Phil method with both. Both genders SIT on the pot. Trust me as soon as he gets it he will want to stand up. The method. Go to the store and buy undies, rewards, and WAter juice/ liquid load up like crazy and do NOT leave the house for 2 days. You set the timer for 20 minutes. and put them on the potty. keep doing this every 20 minutes until they 'go'. After they 'go' set the time for an hour. When they do 'go' pull out all the those cheerleading skills and go crazy and of course he gets a prize. Also have some spot shot on hand because you will have a few accidents to clean up. DO NOT use pull ups. They are only allowed at night. And get rid of them as soon as he is waking up dry. Good luck!
ps.
only have them sit on the potty for a couple of minutes and then re-set the timer.
Hey Julie! So I think that boys are alot easier than girls....but I only had to do it once so far. Anyway, we may be a little weird around here, but my sisters were the ones who gave me the brilliant ideas. Okay first once in undies, always in undies! Let him pick his own out and make a big deal about it! Another thing is to make sure he has a stool to stand on and to teach him proper bowl Etiquette (like put the lid up) Then throw in some cheerios and have him shoot at them!! He will love it and it makes it fun. Also have him play swords with either his pops or his cousins (Jace loved that) I know kinda demented but it works. Treats are a major necessity and also if they have an accident, they aren't going to like to be wet that is why you don't put a pull up on. Another thing that I have done and I know that it isn't nice, but it works wonders is when he does have an accident, tell him that there isn't warm water to wash off the pee-pee and then QUICKLY rinse him off with cold water in the tub. Warning: He will freak out, but he isn't going to want to wet his pants again. Ya it Traumatizes them for a bit, but they will forget once they get the potty training thing down. Really the major part is that you have to remind, remind, remind until you train that little melon! Good luck and Hopefully you won't think I am too crazy!! Heidi
Hmmmm. Julie. Seems like you have more Summerhays Sweeties blog fans than you thought eh????? Good luck to buddy boy!!!
I say sit!! I'm sure it's great for them to pee at cheerios, (I have heard that works great) but the clean up when they miss! EWWW! Good luck, let me know how it goes...I'm not far behind you and it has been way to long for me to remember!! :D
I had Landon sit down...but I still think it is messy. My sister-in-law uses cheerios in the toilet for them to aim, and she says it works great. She has 6 boys, so she is a pretty trustworthy source. Good luck!
Post a Comment